Monday, June 14, 2010

Zoom Zoom Zoom

"$&@# school, I'm going to China!"

Has this thought ever crossed your mind? If so, you and I have at least one thing in common. In fact, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Let's make it two things: we both breathe oxygen for survival. 

Don't feel comfortable yet? My apologies. Allow me to offer you a tasty dumpling as a welcoming gift. Oh, wait a second...

Due to shortcomings in current technology, you won't be able to appreciate the tastes, smells, sounds, and feel of Beijing, but I'll do my very best to deliver the sights of China right to your (probably Chinese-made) computer screen. I might even occasionally toss in my opinion, if you ask nicely.

I'll take this opportunity to describe my study abroad program in detail. I am attending the CET Beijing Chinese Language Program, which is the most intense language study program I could find. I get to attend class from 8am-Noon every day (sooooooo early), get some private lessons, and then I'm free to explore Beijing. The main reason I chose this program is that English is strictly forbidden, and I get to live with a Chinese roommate!

If they catch you speaking English, you get kicked out of the program. 

Anyway, my flight leaves today at 8pm, which works great for me, as I am hopelessly nocturnal. I plan on using my 24 hours of travel time to review my last three semesters of Chinese, as well as playing some Angry Birds

Next time you hear from me, it'll be through a thick, hacking cough, as I will be inhaling the beautifully-polluted air of Beijing. 

再见!  



11 comments:

  1. When I was in Taiwan last year, I couldn't help but think to myself in Chinese all the time. It definitly helps when you try to "not speak English". I expect you to be fluent next Fall :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, FYI blogspot might be banned in China (censorship issues). I'm not really quite sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when you come back, you're going to have a thick fob accent

    ReplyDelete
  4. ya blogspot is blocked, but there are ways to hope over the Great Chinese Firewall. Does this mean we can't speak English when I'm there... I mean I would be be fine (lolz) but you know, have to consider my father and all. ^_^

    Anywho get on Skype, you'll find me on it or at least able to leave me a message 80% of the time. Enjoy that flight by the way, hope nothing shitty happens.

    P.S. That is simply the best blog name EVER, I wonder how you came up with such a great name. :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you will get some quality private lessons :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you can test me when i get back, jason. I totally welcome the challenge.

    meng - if i do, then i'm definitely going to run that against your indian accent..

    jing - imma get some quality private lessons from your mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome idea Kev! Can't wait to follow your journey!!!

    Hope you're not blocked to see this... and if so.. figure something out to get past that. That's what you engineer types do, isn't it? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thrilled to see this, what fun, hope everthing works out the way you expect. did you take your allergy meds? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. When do your classes start?

    ReplyDelete
  10. "If they catch you speaking English, you get kicked out of the program. "

    I like that. When you get back, you are going to realize how bad my Chinese actually is =P

    ReplyDelete
  11. we'll see billy.

    finally got access to this and facebook via a VPN...

    ReplyDelete