Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Chinese Lifestyle: Pros and Cons



As my last week here in China comes to a close, I think the time has come to publish a list of likes and dislikes that I've been compiling for quite some time. At least from here on out, I won't have school work to worry about. Last week was our final written test and oral test. No problem at all. I'm heading up to Qingdao via an 8-hour bus to see the sights with some friends, and then back to the States on Friday. Enjoy!


Things I Like About China: 


  1. the weather. It hasn't been too hot yet, and it doesn't rain too much (in Beijing)
  2. the food, of course.
  3. the people. There are so few fat people here, and most people are reasonably attractive, so I don't have to worry about losing my lunch just by watching passersby. 
  4. the lack of rules. no enforceable drinking age, no open container law, no frilly, stupid rules about drinking, smoking, clubbing, or anything fun. 
  5. the prices. finally, the price is right. everywhere. 
  6. the shopping. opportunities galore, buy this for under $1, but that for under $3. hell, i'll take it all
  7. the beautiful landscapes and scenery
  8. being white allows you to essentially do anything you want
  9. being white, again. when I speak to Chinese people (in Chinese), they are immediately very interested in me, and also very polite about helping me converse.


Things I Don't Like About China


  1. the lack of rules. yes, i realize this is in both categories. it's freakin' dangerous, no traffic laws are enforced.
  2. the noise. CONSTANT @#$% horns. people use the horn so often, it's not even a warning anymore. it's just a notification, such as "Honk. I exist."
  3. cash only. credit cards are rarely accepted, and I hate carrying around so much cash.
  4. non-potable water. every time i just want a quick sip of water, I have to go find my special bottled water so I don't end up with some form of botulism. just a minor inconvenience….
  5. the toilet paper situation. you usually can't flush it, you have to wipe and then stash it in an undoubtedly disgusting trash can right next to the toilet. Also, absolutely no one (save the fanciest hotels) stocks toilet paper in the bathroom; it's your responsibility to bring it with you everywhere you go. 
  6. men, usually fat, sometimes practically anorexic, love to lift up their shirts like it's some kind of summer beach party. it's ubiquitous, and pretty gross if you pass some guy with a nice ol' beer belly (this somewhat refutes #3 in the top section)
  7. the air quality. I play basketball for 10 minutes outside, and subsequently feel as if I just smoked a pack of cigarettes.
  8. CAR HORNS AGAIN! OMFG SO OBNOXIOUS
  9. transportation. sometimes, I'll get a taxi right away, sometimes they're non-existent. and sometimes I get stuck on a 17-hour train ride after already enduring a 13-hour delay. 
  10. normal daytime hours. everyone starts everything at 6-7am, which I am no fan of. this means they close by 8 or 9, before I even get a chance to finish my work for the day. society works too early here.
  11. KIWIS THAT MAKE ME VOMIT


If you have anything to add, or disagree with, post a comment and we can have a healthy one-sided discussion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment